Early American Automobile Industry
Copied from The Automobiloe Motor Magazine
MAXIM IN; LAW OUTChanges at the Electric Vehicle Plant Result in the Farmer's Return.
Frederick A. Law, mechanical engineer, has resigned from the Electric Vehicle 09., to take effect August 15 or sooner. Hiram Percy Maxim, late with the Westinghouse Electric & Mfg. Co., but previously with the Hartford concern, returns ,to that company in a similar capacity. He entered upon his duties this week. '
The changes have caused no small amount of discussion in Hartford, where Laws mobe is. said to have been due to the rumor that Maxim was to come back to the Electric Vehicle Co. Upon receiving confirmation bf this rumor Law tendered his resignation, :in spite of being assured that Maxims coming would not affect him and that his continuance with the company was desired. it was last summer that Law made his connection with the Electric Vehicle Co., he having previously been in their employ, but having spent a couple of years developing a gasolenc car. The rights to this car' were acquired along with Law's services, and it has since been manufactured under the name of the Columbia gasolene car. For a number of years Maxim was at the head of the Electric Vehicle Co.s gasolene department, and designed the car ' which made such a good showing in the 1901 Buffalo endurance run.
1903 Winton "Flyer" Racer
1913 Willard Battery Advertisement
1900 Turner Tonneau Automobile
Richard Turner, Marysville, OH, owner of the Marysville Foundry and Machine, that manufactured ornamental iron work for a good number business in the local area. He built iron chairs for the school district, furniture and toys. He also built and patented a gasoline engine, and in 1900, he built an automobile for himself. He drove the car for many years, but never produced it. He died in 1936 and his family later donated it to theUnion County Historical Society.
1902 Turner Liliputian Three Wheel Automobile
George Turners , owner of the Turner Automobile Company, Philadelphia, PA, produced his first automobile in 1902. It was a three-wheel vehicle set on a peculiar tubular frame with a tiller to the front wheel. Its wheel base was 51 inches, and its 11/4 horse power engine was located under the seat. It had only one speed both forward and reverse. It was exceedingly slow and was not a popular vehicle. He did follow with his 1903 Gadabout. That car also had poor to none sales. Bankruptcy soon followed in 1904.
Moyea Tonneau Automobile
The Moyea Automobile Company was organized in Jabuary, 1903, by Henry Cryder, receiver of the defunct Automobile Company of America. He gave it the name taken from the Indian word meaning "swift runing". Even though the headquarters was in New York City, the cars were built in Middleton, OH, until its fctory in Rye, NY was completed. It was actually a copy of the French Rochet-Schneider with patent rights having been bought. Alden Sampson Machine Company, Pittsfield, MA, made the chassis anf the Springfield Metal Body Company, Springfield, MA, made the body. Sampsin like the automobile so much that he bought the company in 1904, and the Moyea became the Alden Sampson Models.
1903 Moyea Automobile Advertisement
1903 Moyea Automobile Advertisement
G. G. Foster, owner of the Foster $ Company, piano makers since 1896, decided to make steam automobiles in 1899. In 1900, its epermiental model was completed and the company was reorganized as the Foster Automobile Copany, capitalized at $100,000. Imediately, Paul bought the company and reorganized it as the Foster Automobile Manufacturing Company. The original stock holders, except Foster, left the company. Both steam and electric cars were made with 165 being produced
1901 Foster Steam Automobile
1902 Foster Steam Automobile1902 Foster Automobile Advertsement In 1903, steam cars were abandend in favor of the gasoline models. Whitney Steam Motor Wagon Company had brought a law suit against the company for infrignment of patents. In the summer of that years the company went bankrupt and Densmore had disappeared owing $40,000 to the banks. In 1904 Rogers tried againwith another steamer, but the company was bought by the Artzberger Automobile Companyof Allegheny, PA.
1903 Foster-Artzberger Surrey
1904 Artzberger Automobile with Artzberger Standing by his Machine
The Foster steam six horse power wagon, bu i 1 t by the Artzberger Automobile Company, 721 Cedar avenue, Allegheny, Pa., is an improvement on the orig i n a 1 well known Foster vehicle. Mr. W. H. Artzberger gave several notable demonstrations of its ability during the past season, notable among which was the one-mile straignt away record of one mile in 1 min. 10 sec, which was remarkable for an ordinary roadster, carrying the same weight and with the same size of boiler and engine. This wagon is simple in con struction. It is supplied with every modern eonvenlence, r equiring no pump i n g of air, no pumping of water, no lubricators to fill, and no oiling to do. It will get up steam in five minutes, and can be left standing with safety for hours without attention, and is ready to start by pushing a lever. Since taking charge of the building of the Foster wagons, the Artzberger people have made many improvements, especially in their new platform spring wagon. This construction, together with extra long wheel base of 75 inches, causes it to ride exceedingly easy. They use the Reachlers running-gear and platform springs, which low-er the center of gravity to the lowest possible point. All the wagons are fitted with a double action brake, together with an. air brake which fills the air tank while running down a hill. They carry two or four occupants and the front seat is arranged to close neatly when not in use, making it a most desirable car for two passengers, at which time the existence of an extra seat can not be noticed
W. H. Artzberger won the 100-mile run from Rochester to Buffalo, making only two stops for water, and winning the silver trophy. There were 4 2 entries in the contest, and despite the rain 32 showed up and ran. The Improved Foster, driven by W. H. Artzberger was another case of "Appearances don't count." It weighed 1,285 pounds, and had the smallest engine and boiler in the race. W. H. Artzberger made the fastest time of any regular road machine in the race, and beat many racers. In the hill climbing contest by the Automobile Club, of Pittsburg. Saturday, June 20, 1903, held in Highland Park, PittFburer. and up the steep grade known as "Serpentine Drive," the Foster steam wagon won from all steam automobiles and all %vm motors, excepting one 32-horsepower racer, winning the silver cup and first price. In the race were 92 entries.
In the straight way race, of one mile, all up grade, in Highland Park, Pittsburg, July 11, 1903, the Poster steam wagon demonstrated its superiority by defeating all competitors, of every class, making the mile run, all up hill, at 1:42, 1:41 and 1:33 respectively, the last being the fastest up-hill mile on record by a 6-horsepowerAutomobile One of the most peculiar features in this run was the fact that the Foster steam wagon in this race weighed 1,285 pounds, and was fitted with a 14-inch boiler, yet it won against 20-horsepower machines, with 24-ln. boilers.
The large illustration shows Mr. W. H.Artzberger standing beside the wagon with which he won these different events.
However, the stigma of the previous Foster endeavors stayed with the Artzberger and it closed down before the end of 1904
1901 Riker Gasoline Tonneau Automobile
Shortly After this car was produced, Riker sold his company and joined the Locomobile company in designing their gasoline automobiles.
Grout's "Frenchie" Runabout.
One of the first concerns to perceive the demand for steam cars designed on what are termed gasolene lines, Grout Bros, Orange, Mass, have worked consistently to meet this demand. They have followed up their steam touring car. which attracted so much attention at last winters shows. With a runabout. appropriately named the "Frenchie." It is also furnished with a tonneau body. The lines and general appearance of the "Frenchie" appeal at first sight. The long wheel base. the business-like look of the car. with its hooded front and low and rakish body and angle iron frame, stamp it as a winner. An examination of its power plant and details of construction confirm this favorable impression. Both the boiler and the engine are located in front. the latter being positioned hormonous with patented down draught, which carries the heat and odor away from the occupants of the car. The engine is completely encased. affording a much desired protection from out~ side shocks. It is of ample power, insuring the maintenance of good speed, even on the steepest hills. The engine drives direct to the countershaft, with transmission to the rear wheels by means of individual chains. Wheel steering is used, the steering rod having fitted on it a second wheel used as a throttle. This throttle works up and down, and rotates either with the steering wheel or independently, as may be desired. Ample provision is made for the carriage of supplies, the fuel tank holding 'sufficient gasolene to run the car 150 miles. Grout Bros. are prepared to make immediate deliveries of this new model, and anticipate a good trade in it. They are also building a steam racing car, which is expected to possess wonderful speed.
1903 Goodrich Tire Advertisement
1908 Jeannin Runabout Automobile
In Early January, 1908, the Jeannin
Automobile and Manufacturing Company, St. Louis, Mo., was incorporated, and commenced
to manufacture a two-cylinder motor of the double-opposed type with offset cylinders,
especially designed for use in the buggy type of automobiles , The officers were E.
P. Fritschle as president; H. W. Jeannin, superintendant, and W. Goener, secretary.
Later a light delivery buggy was added to its line. Jeannin claimed that no mechanical
parts would go wrong. There wasnt much difference in it than all of the other bugies
at the time. The fad for high wheel buggies ended in 1909 and so did the Jeannin.
1913 Keystone Grease Advertisement
1912 Multiplex Touring Automobile
The Multiplex was placed on the market in 1912 by the Multiplex Manufacturing Company of Berwick, PA. Its models were a touring, priced at $3600, and a raceabout priced at $3125. The company claimed that it represented luxury, but this did not help its sales and after fourteen cars were made, the Multiplex was discontinued.
1913 Bossberg Tool Company Advertsement
When Fran Mossbery, Attleboro, MA, discontinued making his automobiles in 1904, he set up his company to make tools for automobile mechanics. When he shut down in the 1920's, he was the best and largest maker in the United States.
Failing to convince anyone in Watertown, WI., to finance a medium-priced automobile that he had designed, F. W. Aborgast, son-in-law of a wealthy grain merchant, went to Columbus and offered to build a test a model. He told the townspeople that he would build his car there if they would finance it. It was successfully tested and financies were granted. The Badger Motor Car Company was incorporated with A. M. Bellack as president and a factory was completed by November and production began on the Badger automobile. Storage space was needed to store unfinished cars and the Columbus Canning Company was used. Problems soon set in. The dealerships that were invisioned did not appear and the outside press found faults with the constucttion. In order to sell the cars, they were traded for farm land in several locations. Then the stockholders got worried and started to sell the farmland without much success. The canning company bought back the factory and turned it into a grain mill. There had been 237 cars built when it went under in 1911.
1911 Badger Fore Door Automobile
It was powered by a four-cylinder, water-cooled, 30 horse power engine and priced at $1500. A Roadster was priced at $1250 and another model of the touring car was to be made.
1911 Badger Automobile Advertisement
The first Badger automobile as built by the Kissell Automobile Co in 1905 and 1906. It was renamed the KisselKar in 1907
1911 Republic Touring Automobile
The Republic automobile, made by the Republic Motor Car Company, Hamilton, OH, was first put on the market in 1910 with the name, Imperial, made by the Imperial Motor Car Company. They soon learned there was already an Imperial mad byt ther Jackson Motor Car Company. The name was changed to Republic. It was powered by a 40 horse power. four-cylinder engine. " Classiest Car of All" was it slogan and it was really a classy model. In 1914, the six-cylinder was used until 191, when it closed down for lack of material brought on by the war.
1913 Texaco Advertisement
1913 Salvador Cyclecar Advertisment
Salvador J. Richards, owner of the Salvador Motor Company, Boston, MA, put on the market in 1913 with his Salvador Cyclecar, It had a -four-cylinder,12 hp engine that was water cooled and a three-speed transmission. Its wheel base was 100 inches and was shaft driven. This was very unusual for a cylce car, The price tag was $485. Its production was minimal and its production ended with only a few sales However, he came out wit his new model and insisted that his automoble was now a light car. The chassis was the same, but the body was the standard type.
1914 Salvador Three-passenger Light Automobile
The new model did not fare much beter in sales and production was ended by the end of 1914.
S. R. S
1915 S. R. S. Light Automobile
But Salvador J. Richards was not a quitter and his 1915 model, S. R. S., his initials, had a standard tread,108 inch wheel base that was powered by a four-cylinder 25 horse power, water cooled engine. The transmission had thre speeds and shaft driven. But now, the price tag was $855 which was a premium for a light car. In all probability, production ended completely in early 1916..
1913 Century Electric Brougham Automobile
The Century Electric was incorporated as the Century Eletric Motor Car Company, Detroit, MI in 1912 with a capital of $100,000 by John Gillespie, Inc Its only model was the Brougham and it was a truely a luxury model.. The battery was a an Exide giving 65-100 at top speed of 23 miles per hour. It was shaft driven from the motor directly to the rear axle. It was fully equiped with all the luxuries, meters, tools, and flower vases. With the choice of Exide batteries, the priuce was $2350-2500.
This company was doomed to failure because it was in competition with the Hupp Electric company. In 1914, Edward Denby, a stockholder in the Hupp Electric bought controlling interest of the Chicago Electric and ran its assests to the point where it had to declare bankruptcy in 1915.
With a capital of $300,00, the Lion Motor Car Company was organized in 1909 at Adrain, MI. Its initial engine was supposed to be the Gyroscope, built by Blostrom Manufacturing Co. However, this idea was abandoned and it was powered by a 40 horse power four cylinder. The Lion was a successful automobile, but unfortunately, the factory burned down in 1912. Aid was offered by the towns people to rebuild, but $350,00 damage with only a $180,000 policy was too much to continue. The assets were auctioned with a winning bid of $7,000.